Author Topic: Understanding Task Scheduling and informations  (Read 1709 times)

flybelgium

Understanding Task Scheduling and informations
« on: January 24, 2024, 06:56:40 pm »
Hello,

I have buy PIRA P164 RDS and i use Magic RDS 4 for the first time (i have used V3 in the past).
First question, what the differences between the internal scheduler and task scheduler ?

I dont find any tutorial about text scheduling. I would like to try some basics like :
1. Send Artist and Title when it changed (OK > External text > Configure input file and output) > it's working.
2. Send the name of the radioshow in alternance with the Artist - Title file between and specific time

Example : MORNING RADIOSHOW > displayed every days of the week, interval 40 sec, in specific time 07h00-10h00
In the task scheduler i have this configuration :
-> Trigger :
event days:"12345" times:"07:00, 10:00"
timer interval:"40000"  (i think this is milliseconds?)
-> Task :
send connection:"*" command:"TEXT=MORNING RADIOSHOW"
>> Nothing work.

3. How to use Traffic or News program ? When the news is played, send command to rds.

Thank you very much !

Lorenzo

Jan

Re: Understanding Task Scheduling and informations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 07:50:39 pm »
Congratulations on your purchase, Lorenzo. The P164 and the Magic RDS 4 currently form the most powerful solution on the market for the RDS text scheduling and text automation. Any comments and questions are very valuable for us. We continuously work on adding new features and publishing tutorials for their usage.

Now to your questions:

I have buy PIRA P164 RDS and i use Magic RDS 4 for the first time (i have used V3 in the past).
First question, what the differences between the internal scheduler and task scheduler ?

The existence of two schedulers is nothing new, they exist in our RDS systems since 2005. While the internal scheduler operates inside each box, the task scheduler is operated by the Magic RDS PC. Where permanent online connection exists to the encoder, the internal scheduler has usually no reason for being used.

Send the name of the radioshow in alternance with the Artist - Title file between and specific time

Example : MORNING RADIOSHOW > displayed every days of the week, interval 40 sec, in specific time 07h00-10h00
In the task scheduler i have this configuration :
-> Trigger :
event days:"12345" times:"07:00, 10:00"
timer interval:"40000"  (i think this is milliseconds?)
-> Task :
send connection:"*" command:"TEXT=MORNING RADIOSHOW"

I'm fully aware that this topic is still not well covered by the documentation. It's due to the fact that many new features were added recently.

The reason (among others) why the code above does not work correctly for you is that the TEXT is already controlled by the 'now playing' information via the External text source. Correct solution is to add your scheduled messages to the loop in the External text Output.

The loop may contain up to 32 different sources (broadcast automation, websites, text files etc). For each source in the loop you may define the time interval (called 'Go to next after').

The trick is that you create a new Source whose type is 'Internal channel'. Then you can schedule its text content. The scheduled text will perfectly fit into existing loop of other text messages. See the pictures attached. In specific times, you may disable/enable the source as well.

How to use Traffic or News program ? When the news is played, send command to rds.

There is plenty information about using of the Text Conditions tool. This tool can be used the same way like in the old version 3, except for the command syntax which is now extended.
Especially the examples for the TA and PTY News are listed in the Help (extsrc.pdf). Just click on the Help button and scroll down to the Text Conditions section of examples.

flybelgium

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 10:00:55 am »
Thank you Jan for your response.
Another question about "pre-configuration", i would like to configure completely before i put the P164 on FM site.

Actually, i have made USB Connexion on my personnal computer with Magic RDS4 with these configuration :
- Lan Settings : Manual IP with the local network from FM Site
- Port 2 Configuration : TCP Server with local port forwaded (5000) in the router with timeout disabled (from FM site, not my local network).
- Embedded Configuration Website with personnal port (6080) forwaded by my router(from FM site, not my local network).

2 possibilities for me (i have internet access on FM site, not directly connected to my studio) :
1. Connect the P164 on site directly with RJ45 on port 2 from my network fm site and remote access from internet with port forwarding (i have a personal domain working) with Magic RDS
on my personal computer or my server in the studio with Magic RDS.
2. Connect the P164 on site directly with USB port AND RJ45 to a small computer for remote access with a Teamviewer and configure with this solution.

With the solution 1, i have to add new connexion type TCP Server or the  TCP Server from USB Connexion is ok ?

Jan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 10:09:16 am »
Usually the best option is to set the P164 as a TCP CLIENT so it will automatically connect to your Magic RDS TCP SERVER. Such setup is equal to a cloud solution and it's useful especially if there are more encoders in the network, so you need only single public IP address (the Magic RDS PC) and you avoid all issues with router port forwarding setup on each site.

Optionally, you may enter an alternative connection setup in the P164 for the case that your PC becomes unavailable. See the manual, section 'Ethernet fail-safe monitor' for details. Anyway, you will never lost the connection to your remote encoder.

flybelgium

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 12:12:26 pm »
Hi Jan.

This morning i have installed physically the P164 and i dont understand why is not really working.
I have a TX150 BW Broadcast
I have connected like this (manual BW Broadcast in attachment)
But, when i switch my TX150 to External MPX1, i dont have any audio signal. I dont know why.
The P164 send RDS, i see my tuner and i can send any information to my transmitter but audio is muted...

Any idea ?

Regards.

Jan

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 12:19:12 pm »
So the encoder works ok. It seems you only did not enable the MPX loopthrough (LOOP position on the rear panel).

It is a known failure of some BW transmitters that the MPX must go externally through the encoder.

flybelgium

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 01:34:08 pm »
Thanks, it working !
BW Broadcast respond me with another solution, input MPX2, output MPX1 and route MPX to MPX1 output.

I have "pira.cz" message displayed sometimes, how to register the software ? Can i do this in client TCP ? UECP ?

Jan

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 01:45:36 pm »
With your P164, perform the simple activation process (see the Help for details: devices.pdf, page 3)

flybelgium

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 12:05:59 pm »
Hi Jan,

Directly on site (via USB) i have the activated status under licence (see capture).
But i still have "pira.cz" message... why ?

In my remote studio with TCP, Magic Rds Licence are not activated.

Thanks

Jan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 12:09:40 pm »
In my remote studio with TCP, Magic Rds Licence are not activated.

I think you have answered yourself.

You probably do not need two separate installations of the Magic RDS for driving an encoder connected by TCP. Activation can be made remotely as well.

flybelgium

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 12:21:56 pm »
At my FM Site, on dont have a computer. I go there with a laptop when I need it.
I have installed Magic RDS on my studio because my broadcast software creates the text file with the broadcast titles.
I cannot access to this text file from FM Site.

Jan

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 12:29:15 pm »
That's ok. The activation is not directly portable between different installations on different PCs. The installation in your laptop probably does not require the activation at all, while the studio installation does.

flybelgium

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 05:27:24 pm »
Hello Jan,

I dont really understand how i can made activation from my studio in TCP mode.
I would like to use my P164 remotely directly from my studio for greater convenience.
I used the USB configuration to adjust the technical aspects only.

Jan

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 06:54:04 pm »
Why do you think the TCP mode of connection is an obstacle? Go to RDS Content / Program, click on Read. If everything goes right that's all you need to do.

flybelgium

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 07:08:36 pm »
Because i forgot "bidirectional" on device setup...  :-X  sorry

Thank you very much !