Author Topic: Piracom working fine when printing from client PC, but not from PC "server"  (Read 6780 times)

mundodisco

Hi everybody,
first of all, thank you for the development of such a useful piece of software...and keeping it free!

I am using Piracom and HW VSP to share a serial Epson printer (for tickets). The printer is attached to the physical COM1 port in one PC (the one that has Piracom installed = server PC), and in the other PC HW VSP is installed (client PC).

From the client PC I can print perfectly (when Piracom is running in the server PC), but from the server PC I cannot: it says "denied access, COM1 port already opened" (it is a translation, perhaps in an English Windows version would say something slightly different). If I close Piracom, I can immediately print from server PC (no need to reboot or anything special). As soon as I run Piracom, I am againg unable to print from this server PC.
Of course, when Piracom is not running, I cannot print from client PC.

I have tried different PC's as "server PC", and it is always the same: from the "server PC", while Piracom is running, it is impossible to print to that COM port, but you can print fine from "client PC's" [I have just edited this info, as I have thought that this issue was not happening under Windows XP, but I was wrong... it is not Windows-version dependent].

Have I been clear enough? Do you need extra information?
Is there something else I have to change/enable, in Windows and/or Piracom?

Next, I will paste my Piracom log file:

[General]
Top=241
Left=893
COMPort=0
Baudrate=6
Parity=2
Databits=4
Stopbits=0
FlowControl=0
TDMA=0
TXBuffer=4
Port=23
Delay=30
Length=1
Hidden=1
Connect=1
LogTX=1
LogRX=1
LogER=1
LogCC=1
File=piracom.log

Thank you very much in advance,
GABRIEL
from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Jan

Two different applications cannot open one serial port. Either the piracom or the printing software may access the COM port but not both.
The solution may be to use the same method as on the client PC, that is VSP connected to the piracom. The piracom is able to accept multiple connections.
Since the original purpose of the piracom was a bit different, operation is not guaranteed.