Author Topic: P164 Questions on Ports  (Read 23 times)

timparish1@gmail.com

P164 Questions on Ports
« on: Yesterday at 09:13:07 am »
So I have a question on the web interface for the PIRA 164 it has a spot for two ports a remote port and local port. Should I have separate ports for each can they be  the same. I currently have both ports set up with the same number. I want to have one port talk to Magis RDS software via PC from the studio and have the other port used for sending title and artist from the Automation. Which port should I set up for title and artist and which should I use for remote management.

I know I am asking a lot of questions and I appreciate your help.

Tim

Jan

Re: P164 Questions on Ports
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:46:55 am »
Of course, you can connect Magic RDS and your broadcast automation or even more applications at the same time to the P164. The feature is called software port multiplication and it is illustrated in the Magic RDS help file m4vp.pdf, section 'RDS Encoder’s Port Multiplier' or 'Data Splitter for RDS Encoders'.

In such setup, only the Magic RDS is actually connected to the P164. All other applications connect to the Magic RDS Virtual Port instead of the encoder(s).

The benefits of such approach aren't quite obvious for a single encoder but the P164 is designed for large networks too, then you appreciate single access point for entire network, as well as the data vizualizers and loggers built in the Magic RDS.

Please read also the P164 manual, at least the sections '5.1 Broadcast Automation System Link-up' and '6.4 Ethernet Connection', for proper methods of configuration.