Author Topic: Gates-Air Flexiva Transmitters  (Read 3641 times)

wsof

Gates-Air Flexiva Transmitters
« on: October 14, 2022, 07:17:08 pm »
Hi!
We just installed a new Gates-Air Flexiva 1kw transmitter and I was wanting to know which device to use to set this up with Magic RDS 4? They just implemented dynamic rds in their transmitters and I am having some problems with the rds. I currently have it set to generic uecp.  Thanks!

Steve

Jan

Re: Gates-Air Flexiva Transmitters
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »
Select the READBEST.

wsof

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 01:21:53 am »
That seems to work well though I am having an issue. Not sure but it may be the transmitter. Everything seems to be reaching the transmitter but on my radio it stays stuck on one thing. After I make any adjustments and save it seems to show up on my radio but then never changes. Gates Air incorporated RDS spy into the transmitter which I have enabled and when I connect Spy it shows that it is transmitting the info but as I said, it never changes on the radio. I have reached out to Gates Air but thought I would mention it here in case it may be the software. Any thoughts?

Steve

Jan

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 08:50:11 am »
Not all settings work with all car radios, especially due to safety. The range of configuration parameters may need to be rectified.

The RDS Spy allows recording the RDS data, directly from the main panel. Please post us the record, about 15 minutes or so. You may send it to my email as well, mail@(our domain).

wsof

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 03:12:20 pm »
I've sent the report, hope I did it right.

Jan

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 04:32:28 pm »
Yes, that's right.

1) I would recommend to increase following parameter, otherwise the station name may not appear due to very short time:
RDS Content - Dynamic PS - Common Settings - Default (static) PS period

2) The Radiotext type A/B bit does not toggle when the RT changes. This may cause the RT+ to be frozen on some receivers.
All encoders usually toggle the A/B flag automatically upon entering a new RT. However this depends on configuration, data format and some other influences.
In Options - Preferences - Logging you may enable Data logging. Maybe the data will tell us more, once you capture the RT change.

wsof

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 01:01:52 am »
Thanks Jan!

I increased the PS period some more and I addressed the A/B toggle. I am sending the data logging since I already had it logging since I started using it at this site. I'll be visiting this site tomorrow so I can check it first hand.

Steve

wsof

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 07:22:59 pm »
Ok,
I 've been by the station and it's still stuck. Any ideas from the logs? I'm going ahead with contacting GatesAir tech support.

Steve

Jan

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 08:16:09 pm »
There's probably something which is specific to the implementation in their equipment. They either removed the RT type toggle or all data are sent twice to the encoder, making double RT type toggle. I'm interested in solving this, as it is important to get this working correctly. Anyway, you should report that to the manufacturer.

It would be nice if you can provide the data log as I proposed before. This is different from the Recent events log, rather it stores all data communication. This could help a lot to focus on the cause. Thank you for all your feedback.

wsof

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 10:11:46 pm »
Ok,
I figured out why it was sending double RT. They have a setting for RT where you can send up to ten different Static RT text's and how often to repeat. Since I want Magic RDS to handle that I have the fields blank and only the first RT field enabled. The problem entered when I changed the transmission times from infinite to 1 thus it sent it once and since there are no other fields enabled it would repeat and repeat and so on. Once I changed it back to infinite it stopped.

I spoke with the guys at GatesAir and they are looking into it. It appears that the RDS is working but not updating on the car receiver. I sent them the logs as well. I hope this is the data log you want.

Jan

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 10:27:11 pm »
Looking at the data log, everything seems to be ok there, the Magic RDS 4 outputs correct data.
The encoder itself automatically toggles the RT type A/B when a new RT1=xxxxxxx command it sent. That can be verified on the DEMO encoder, which is 100% compatible. So it really looks like the problem is in some specific implementation of data or RT processing. I'm sure the guys will find a solution.

wsof

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 05:59:50 pm »
HI,
Sorry for the delay in updating but the guys at Gates Air are looking into the RDS problem. I have confirmed that the Magic RDS is sending over all data and the transmitter is receiving it but for some reason it does not forward it on. As soon as I get an update I can post it if you like. Other than that I have confirmed that Readbest is the device to use for Gates Air transmitters. Thanks

Steve