Author Topic: RT+ Title; Artist via TCP from WWO/Wegener/Storq2  (Read 2921 times)

jcmarsalis

RT+ Title; Artist via TCP from WWO/Wegener/Storq2
« on: March 03, 2022, 03:52:21 pm »
I want the encoder to display PS (static), RT(static) and RT+(Title; Artist). The source of the text is the WWO Storq2. The P164 is receiving the data according to the Storq2, but I can't figure out how to make the P164 display it as RT+. I would like to use the P164 in a standalone operation (ie not with MagicRDS4 in the middle)

Jan

Re: RT+ Title; Artist via TCP from WWO/Wegener/Storq2
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 03:58:40 pm »
Try this 'RBDS Template':

Code: [Select]
XCMD=<rds><item><dest>3</dest><text>Now playing <title>${TITLE}</title> by <artist>${ARTIST}</artist></text></item></rds>
Please note that the RT+, as defined by the standard, is only an enhancement of the RT. Thus there's no way how to send different RT and RT+ at the same time. It is however possible to put static text to RT2 so the encoder will periodically switch between RT1 (RT+) and RT2.

jcmarsalis

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:31:39 pm »
I inserted that into the RDBS template text field on the Storq but it didn't change anything, other than breaking the Title; Artist display on my app/streaming, which accepts simply ${TITLE};${ARTIST}. The operational log on the Storq is getting a TCP delivery receipt from the IP of the P164, but the P164 is not displaying the sent information anywhere. P164 is set to server. The static info I enter for PS and RT2 display appropriately. Dynamic PS is disabled.

Jan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 09:41:49 pm »
The template is correct and works well in other broadcast automation software. It seems the Storq2 does not insert CR character (ASCII code 13) behind the text, making this feature completely useless in the Storq2.

Please ask their support for a way how to terminate the text by CR. All other software have such possibility because this is a part of standard ASCII command format for RDS/RBDS encoders.

They should also give you an information about how to define separate templates for the RT+ capable RDS encoder and for the streaming, as they are naturally different.

If you think there's anything we can do for you in this regard, please let us know.

jcmarsalis

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 11:23:32 pm »
Sorry, They do honor sending /r/n which is enabled and part of what's in the field I should have mentioned that... I tried inserting RT=${TITLE};${ARTIST}/r/n
but the P164 wouldn't pick it up. In any event, I have enabled Dynamic PS 1 on the P164 and that seems to work fine. In the Storq RDBS template field I have inserted
DPS=${TITLE};${ARTIST}/r/n
and on the P164 I enabled DPS1 / 3 - Space separated scrolling text
Seems to be working consistently and reliably.
Many thanks for your responses! 

Jan

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 07:49:54 am »
Thank you for all useful information.

Correct prefix for Radiotext is RT1= or TEXT= (see the manual)

Anyway, if they support /r /n etc., please ask their support how to correctly insert / character into the template. The technique is known as 'escaping characters'. Currently the Storq2 replaces the /d /t /a /i /r sequences which are present in the XCMD template by another characters and that's the reason why it is not working.

Maybe something like this

XCMD=<rds><item><dest>3<//dest><text>Now playing <title>${TITLE}<//title> by <artist>${ARTIST}<//artist><//text><//item><//rds>/r

jcmarsalis

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 11:15:55 pm »
Response from WWO Storq support:

A backslash would be the escape character to try. There are no plans to make changes to the current iteration of tools.

Jan

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 08:05:30 am »
In other words, they do not know their own product. It's a pity. Other broadcast automation software works correctly in this regard. The slash / is a standard character which can be sometimes seen in the Radiotexts.

BTW, they propose something like this

XCMD=<rds><item><dest>3<\/dest><text>Now playing <title>${TITLE}<\/title> by <artist>${ARTIST}<\/artist><\/text><\/item><\/rds>/r
or maybe?

XCMD=<rds><item><dest>3<\x2Fdest><text>Now playing <title>${TITLE}<\x2Ftitle> by <artist>${ARTIST}<\x2Fartist><\x2Ftext><\x2Fitem><\x2Frds>/r
XCMD=<rds><item><dest>3</x2Fdest><text>Now playing <title>${TITLE}</x2Ftitle> by <artist>${ARTIST}</x2Fartist></x2Ftext></x2Fitem></x2Frds>/r
No more ideas.

jcmarsalis

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 10:16:46 pm »
Agreed. I think "the idea" is to escape with a backslash "\" anything in the XCMD markup that represents a / switch they honor (the only two I KNOW they honor are /r and /n, but maybe others??). I will experiment when I have some time and report back. Thank you.