Author Topic: Text Source - Do not update Radiotext if Artist or Title are blank  (Read 1974 times)

South Coast FM Tech

Hi Jan,

I'm using MagicRSD4 V4.0.33 with a Now Playing text source.

Sometimes the Artist or Title are blank.
So the usual 'Artist name - Song title' is either ' - Song title' or 'Artist name - '

What I'd like to do in these cases, is to ignore the text & not have the RDS text updated on the RDS display.

Currently I'm using Text Replacing to Change '%S% - ' to '%CLEAR%%END%' to blank the text, but then blank RDS text is sent to the encoder via an External Radiotext update.

It's easier enough to detect either Title or Artist being blank, but is there a way to stop the text being updated to the RDS encoder?

Or perhaps a 'Text Condition' could be used, but I don't know what to execute.

If not currently possible, could a command such as %IGNORE% be added to the Text Replacing to flag when an RDS encoder external text update should not happen?

Thanks, Rod

Jan

Re: Text Source - Do not update Radiotext if Artist or Title are blank
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 09:43:16 pm »
Hi Rod,

what is better to do in that case?

1) Go to next source in the loop immediately
or
2) Keep the text from the previous source also for the duration of current source?

or something else?

Hope it's clear. Ignoring the source is ok but something must be showed instead. Thank you for your tips :)

BTW: How are you satisfied with your BW transmitter? Some users in past reported a problem with the BW TX - a need of reset after some period of operation. Was this solved in the firmware?

South Coast FM Tech

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:39:17 am »
Hi Jan,

I have multiple Text Sources running in sequence. Works really well. Now Playing (From Station Playlist), Program Names (using Task Scheduler to alter the N/A text. Such as 'The Midnight Jukebox' ), Standard messages (such as 'Local Radio Southern Gippsland'), Special announcements (such as 'Christmas Carols @ Town Hall 12th Dec'), Local town locations (such as 'Archies Creek's 3mFM').

In the case where 'Text Replacing' results in a condition where the External Radiotext should not be updated, suggest that the next Text Source be used.

In my case, if Artist or Title are blank, it means that a track has been manually loaded & generally means the text info is not really suitable for public display, but also means that the previous 'Now Playing' data is no longer valid. So I could either just display blank text, which would look strange or move to the next Text Source.

Perhaps each Text Source setup could be altered to optionally (by tickbox) move to the next Text Source source if the text result is blank after the Text Replacing process is completed?

cheers,
Rod

Jan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 06:24:20 pm »
A new command has been added to the Text replace in version 4.0.34:

%GOTONEXT%

which causes skipping the current text source on match.