Author Topic: Cannot connect RDS P164 Encoder via USB  (Read 2238 times)

Luc Hurt

Cannot connect RDS P164 Encoder via USB
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:26:23 pm »
Hello,
I have installed Magic RDS4.
when I try to make a connection with USB to the RDS Encoder, it doesn't work. It doesn't send data to the Encoder. The software license should normally switch to "Activated", but this does not happen.
What must I choose, when I add a new connection?
Serial /USB:  I can choose between COM1 to COM256, but there is nowhere USB?
What does the port speed (bps) mean?

Jan

Re: Cannot connect RDS P164 Encoder via USB
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 07:12:03 pm »
The P164 uses standard virtual COM port (VCP) feature for USB connectivity, to maintain compatibility with all existing RDS applications.

This means for you that after successful recognize or installation of the USB driver, the USB port is accessible under COMx port name, where x is usually in range 1 to 255. The Magic RDS 4 indicates active COM ports by the 'installed' word. Thus select from such COM ports.

The COM port number is assigned by the Windows. Complete list of COM ports is available in the Windows Device Manager (Win+R, devmgmt.msc, Enter). The COM port assignment can be changed there as well.

The port speed is maintained for compatibility. Default speed is 2400. You can simply check the Autodetect option and you don't have to worry about that.

LucHurt

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 04:14:40 pm »
Hello,
when I go to the Device manager, he shows me the P164 RDS Encoder. But he says that the driver is installed. Where do I find the driver?

Jan

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 04:44:15 pm »
You can go either to the product site or download directly here https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/ - select the driver variant according to your operating system.