Author Topic: WIZNet Issue? Or something else?  (Read 1696 times)

NorthCountryTech

WIZNet Issue? Or something else?
« on: October 04, 2021, 06:13:51 pm »
Hello, Pira Gurus
I'm new to these devices-and I need a little help.  I purchased two P164 units-one is behaving nicely, the other not so much.  On the bad one I was able to input some initial PTY and RT data, then it seemed to stop updating no matter what comm method I used- USB/serial or TCP, and I could not change any settings-RDS level, Phase etc.  The operation light is flashing, and when on TCP, the TCP light is on.  Using the Terminal all commands return a "#".  Something I have found when using the HTTP access is a difference in the Advanced options between the working unit and the non-working.  I've attached screen shots.  I tried to reinitialize the unit to no avail, then to reinstall the v2.2c firmware which reported a good install, but no change.  I'm thinking I need to change something to make the WIZnet talk to the firmware.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Re: WIZNet Issue? Or something else?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 07:36:28 pm »
You was able to upload the firmware to the unit so the data port is working well. Thus check following in the Magic RDS 4:

If the terminal answers '#', it means 'command sent, no response expected'. Typically this happens if you disable the 'Bidirectional' communication in Edit Connection or if you select incorrect RDS encoder model.

Usually, the embedded website is for status information only. If you think you set something wrong, follow the simple steps from the manual, section
 6.3.5 Factory Default Connection Parameters
or
 6.3.2 Ethernet configuration from the Windows control software

The USB connection is completely independent and works regardless of any settings. If you disable the 'Bidirectional' communication, the serial port speed autodetect cannot work. Thus enable the Bidirectional communication or check the baudrates manually. You'll get it working this way I'm sure.

NorthCountryTech

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 09:23:46 pm »
Thanks, Jan.

Hitting the reset button seems to have helped it.  Data is updating now and settings are responsive.  The Bidirectional option had been checked and verified, but the terminal still returns the "#".  For now, I will take this and try it in the field.

Jan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:26:57 pm »
What you're writing to the terminal? Can you send a screenshot?

A newer Magic RDS 4 version exists, by the way.

NorthCountryTech

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:37:29 pm »
Screenshot attached.

The first three attempts were with USB.  Second three TCP.
The command MS=1 and MS=0 did change the state of the unit as detected on RDSSpy for both the TCP and USB.

I updated the Magic RDS.  The connection does have Bidirectional checked.

Thanks for your continued help.

Jan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 11:03:52 pm »
Go to Extensions/General and set the option 'Encapsulate all outgoing data to UECP' back to DISABLED. This option is still experimental.

NorthCountryTech

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 11:30:02 pm »
That made it much happier.  I will have to connect up the other one to see where it is the UECP encapsulation is set.  That one has been working.
Thanks again for your help.