Author Topic: Shoutcast stream and playing back-up audio  (Read 4597 times)

Radioguy

Shoutcast stream and playing back-up audio
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:21:58 am »
Hi Folks--
   First of all, very simply I'm looking for the "Silence detector" to monitor a "Shoutcast"-type stream which I broadcast on my playlist.  So far, I've attempted to use the screenshots to guide me in setting up the "Silence Detector"--but it's NOT "working"!  Very simply I want to detect silence on the "Shoutcast"-type stream & back it up with mp3 audio--no need for emails, notifications, etc--I just need the software to "take action" in the form of backup audio...so how do I configure this thing for that purpose?
   Any help/insight/info greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance,

Radioguy

Radioguy

Re: issues with Silence Detector
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:49:44 am »
In case I wasn't "clear"--"Silence Detector" says "Alarm Not Active"--there is NO AUDIO emanating from the computer the "Silence Detector" is on--how do I "activate" the "Silence Detector"?

Jan

Re: issues with Silence Detector
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:42 am »
Alarm is not activated immediately when the silence occurs but after the time specified in the Alarm activation conditions. This prevents to activate the alarm during normal program.

Please keep on mind that what you need to do is not achievable with a single sound card! You need two sound cards and some kind of external audio mixer. The reason is that with single sound card there's no reliable way how to detect if the audio playing is only the backup audio or if the original shoutcast stream has started to play again.

Thus in your current configuration, once the backup audio starts to play, it returns the silence detector back to normal mode so the backup audio stops playing after a few seconds or so. That's not right.

You need two sound cards, one for playing the backup audio, the second sound card for playing original stream which is also used for the purposes of silence detection. The sound card outputs must be tied together externally by some kind of audio mixer. Unfortunately I don't have any better idea for this situation. Maybe a use of virtual audio cable driver (VAC) may enable you to use only one hardware sound card...

Radioguy

Re: Shoutcast stream and playing back-up audio
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:43:20 pm »
Jan wrote:>>"-You need two sound cards, one for playing the backup audio, the second sound card for playing original stream which is also used for the purposes of silence detection"<<

It would have been nice if that "tidbit" of info was on the download page--just to make folks AWARE--I don't THINK I have 2 soundcards--even if I did--not going through the hassle of connecting to a mixer...the "Silence Detector" was an "idea"--obviously for the more thoroughly inclined computer user...Please see below,
Jan.

Radioguy

Re: Shoutcast stream and playing back-up audio
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:47:13 am »
Re: 2 Soundcards--Someone mentioned Behringer UCA202 Audio Device as an "option" to a second sound card--Thoughts?