Author Topic: RDS resets to factory defaults  (Read 8165 times)

Dimitris

RDS resets to factory defaults
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:54:11 am »
Hello
I am using pira32 rds encoder for many years without a problem.
The last 10 days, without any reason, the rds encoder resets to factory defaults and "communication error" shows on software status bar. The rds receiver shows * RDS *
The encoders starts working as normal when I unplug and plug again the dc power.
The biggest problem is that the encoder is at transmitter site and I have to travel one hour over the mountain to do this.
RDS encoder is connected using a tcp/ip connection to a Barix extreamer rs232 port.
The same configuration was working without any problem for more than 2 years. Nothing has changed since then.

Do you know what can cause this ?
Best Regards
Dimitris

Jan

Re: RDS resets to factory defaults
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »
You should still be able to access the device at 2400 bps (the Barix must be set to this baudrate too). The encoder recovers factory defaults only if it's unable to detect the on-board EEPROM memory after reset or power-up. Thus there's probably some hardware failure.

If this was a DIY kit, check the entire board. If this is a complete unit directly from us, send an email to settle the device replacement. If the device has been ordered from 3rd party, contact the original supplier first.

Dimitris

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »
I was lucky today because there was a power failure at the transmitter site and when the power came back the RDS encoder started normaly. So I did not drive there. :)

Some more info for the problem :
The encoder recovers factory defaults only if it's unable to detect the on-board EEPROM memory after reset or power-up.
After power up the unit works without any problem. The problem appears at random times.

Now I am trying to flash the latest firmware but I can not. I can use terminal to access com port and I can send commands to encoder.
When I run MagicRDS software it connects and sends commands normally (using tcp/ip and a virtual com port "hw-vsp3-single_3-1-2.exe")
But firmware update connects, and loops "waiting for response" until I end the application.
With terminal I type VER and the response is :
Code: [Select]
VER
Firmware v. 1.5  - (C) 2009 Jan Kolar - Pira CZ
+
Is this an old firmware not supported by the latest MagicRDS software and this causes a problem ?

This unit is bought directly from you.

Jan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »
Any incompatibility of that kind between different firmware and control software versions is not known and is improbable.

To make the firmware update remotely the encoder and Barix must already operate at 2400 Bd (because there's no way how the update utility can switch Barix baudrate). For safety reason it is recommended to make the update on local port.

The Barix should have some HTTP configuration interface. So if the problem occurs again, configure the Barix to 2400 Bd and you should be able to access the encoder under fault. Typing RESET in terminal should make the same service as trip to mountains.

However I can recommend these steps:
1) Visit the site, check visual status of the encoder and environment temperature. Update the firmware. Use another power supply as it can be caused by power supply failure as well.
2) If the problem appears again, contact me for the encoder replacement.

Dimitris

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:18:58 am »
Latest news:
I 've switched barix at 2400 bps and now MagicRDS shows "communication error" (it was at 9600 bps before).
(Back to 9600 and works again)
Strange !

Still can not upgrade to latest firmware.

When this (factory reset) happens again and have to go to mountain, I 'll try to upgrade to latest firmware and change the power supply.
I 'll contact you if the problem appears again.

Thank you for your support

Best Regards
Dimitris

Jan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:58:48 am »
Latest news:
I 've switched barix at 2400 bps and now MagicRDS shows "communication error" (it was at 9600 bps before).
(Back to 9600 and works again)
Strange !

Just for your information:

The baudrate desired must be set on both devices, encoder and Barix. Correct method is following (expecting the communication now works on 9600):
1) Open a terminal, type SPEED=2400 and confirm by enter. Now the RDS encoder listens on 2400. Close the terminal.
2) Change the Barix baudrate to 2400 using its http interface.
3) Open a terminal, type *SPEED and confirm by enter.

All these steps must be made within a minute, otherwise the encoder will return back to 9600.