Author Topic: MagicRDS command line options  (Read 3872 times)

Radiosotra_Tech

MagicRDS command line options
« on: November 09, 2019, 09:49:49 am »
Dear community.

I need to change the information under "Messages" by command line. Does anyone know the correct syntax for changing eg MSG1 by command line?
(I cannot find the complete list of task schedule/command line options - just the very few options that is on the Task Scheduler help page)

Background for this need is that I'm building a small touchpanel on a raspberry pi for the (non technical) operaters to be able to change RDS information between different studios and also be able to change static text without the need to use the software (eg show name ++).

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Re: MagicRDS command line options
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:08:30 am »
The Messages represent a set of static text messages. Thus the set is not intended for automated update. There are much simpler methods. You may send the text directly (for example RT1=New text here) or select a static text from the predefined Messages (for example RT2MSG=04).

Radiosotra_Tech

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:34:44 am »
Dear Jan.

Thank you for the information. We used to do the RT1 part earlier (just by using RT2 instead since we are using RT1 for song information), but some of the shows wants more information given than just one message.

Just to clarify what we are looking for if you have any other ideas on how we could do this.

They are looking for something like (by a 0,5min switching interval from RT1 to RT2):
Radiotext1 - Song information
Radiotext2 - Message #1 (Normally information about the radio station - name, contact ++)
Radiotext2 - Message #2 (Normally information about the show - name ++)
Radiotext2 - Message #3 (Some information to the listeners)
+++
And then all over again (depending on how many Messages they want - but normally this is 2-5).

We are updating the Message1 to 99 today by making and running a .rds file using the following method:
1. Type all the texts on the raspberry pi that they wants in the rotation
2. The raspberry pi sends the information to the MagicRDS computer by using MQTT protocol.
3. The MagicRDS computer stores the information from the Raspberry PI to a file
4. The Raspberry PI runs a command on the MagicRDS machine : magicrds.exe messagefile.rds

We would like to simplify this operation if its possible by sending the information directly to MagicRDS instead of having to store it to a file, and then have MagicRDS read the file (As this will give us more control of what is given to the software as it fails sometimes if the file is not stored/closed before we run the update command. We have a small "wait" command of 0,5 sec before the command runs as this takes care of 95% of the faults - but would like to have the rate to 100% as some of the users are not technical and does not understand what to do if it fails - even if this is just pressign the same button on the touchpanel again).

Thanks in advance

Jan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 12:13:31 pm »
I would recommend to control everything completely from the External Text tool. As I suppose you're already using this tool for the song information, you may define second text source which will read a file of predefined static text messages. That file may be updated from your Raspberry Pi. Entire process is very easy.

In short:

Disable RT2
Save the text messages to a plain text file using the MQTT, one text message per each line
Configure the text source as described here https://pira.cz/rds/show.asp?art=guide_text_5
On the External Text / Radiotext card, check both the song info source and static text source.

Radiosotra_Tech

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:49:13 pm »
Dear Jan.

Thank you for the suggestion. I dont't think this will be useful for us as we have some users (the more experienced ones) that are using the MagicRDS software and Message list to choose which messages are beeing used (and changes this often during a show) - They are using the RDS functions to maximum. The more unexperienced users are only going to set their show name and that's that (in addition to the "static" station information).

I think I will go for another approach to the "problem".
I know that magicrds will take all the RDS commands directly by using "send:" in the command line (Just that the MagicRDS software is not updating its GUI with this information), and I can update eg MSG50 (in the encoder) by using the command: "magicrds.exe send:MSG50=Some text; send:MSG50D=2" to set and enable the message and then "magicrds.exe send:MSG50D=0" when the message is not going to be used. (This will make the rds encoder able to get the information - but just not show it in the MagicRDS software).
I will just have to convince my experienced users to use only the touchpanel (instead of the software) and then give them some extra options there instead.

Thank you very much for your time and effort to look into my "problem".

Jan

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 03:33:25 pm »
OK, so back to your first question. You can change the Message text from command line thru a RDS file. Create a file msg.rds:

Code: [Select]
[Messages]
MSG1=New text here

Pass the file name as a parameter to the magicrds:

magicrds.exe msg.rds