Author Topic: MagicRDS4 and Nautel  (Read 3959 times)

kkidd

MagicRDS4 and Nautel
« on: October 18, 2022, 03:33:41 pm »
Hello all,

I searched the forums and didn't find any references to using Magic4 to do RDS on a Nautel NVLT TX.  Is anyone using this combination and have tips?  I have it operating a 332 encoder but this client is about to add a new NVLT and would like to add it as well.

I am about to purchase the full version for this customer and want to make sure that it works before proceeding. 

Regards,

Jan

Re: MagicRDS4 and Nautel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 04:28:45 pm »
I'm sure you can get it working at least for the Radiotext and Dynamic PS. There's some proprietary encoder in the Nautel which should support a limited set of ASCII and UECP but published information does not describe it well. You may try Generic UECP, Lite ASCII as well as User Defined, depending on which performs better. You don't need the Full version to try that.

kkidd

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 03:43:20 am »
Thanks Jan,

I have been experimenting and it does work with ASCII Lite and UECP but I haven't figured it out enough to be confident yet.

Thanks,

wsof

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 04:06:33 pm »
Hi!
We have two Nautel transmitters in use. One is a GV15 and the other is a VS1. While I use a different software for the GV15, I just started using Magic RDS with the VS1. I can say that so far the best setup that seems to work for me is the ASCII over Serial setting in the transmitter. I tried it over IP and set Magic as a TCP client but it kept disconnecting from the transmitter but once I switched to the serial connection it has worked perfect. Our setup is in a remote site so I am sending the data via a bridge to the site, writing it to a local file and then sending it to the transmitter via serial connection. The RDS encoder type that I have set in Magic is Lite ASCII. Hope this helps!

Steve