Radio Data System (RDS) > Control Software

Radio Text Lag

(1/2) > >>

mel@zrimarketing.com:
I'm using the Magic RDS at the studio with the Pira 132 located at the Transmitter site, hardware VPN connected TCP/IP. The magic RDS shows the Dynamic PS and RadioText changing at the start of each song but the Radiotext does not change on the car radios until mid to late portions of the song, the Dynamic PS changes at the start of each song. I have the automation writing a text file that is set up as external text source 1, In external text sources Radiotext 1 is enable,send on change check marked and source 1 selected.

Jan:
The RDS encoder processes the new RT almost immediately. However, this is still not the time when the new RT can be showed on the car radio because there's a delay in transmission over the RDS. The RDS bandwidth is restricted by RDS standard, and it's very low compared to all current technology. You can effectively carry only several tens of bytes per second.

While dynamic PS works faster, the RT is not showed by the radio until it is completely received and verified (i.e. received several times).

A good new is that the P132 supports group sequence so you may assign more bandwidth to the RT, at the expense of other services. The P132 is also first RDS encoder which supports dynamic group sequence for the RT, so the RT rate is temporarily higher when the RT changes, to achieve the shortest time possible while still keeping bandwidth for other services.

The difference can be well illustrated on following examples:

--- Code: ---GRPSEQ=002
--- End code ---

One RT group is sent after 2*4 PS groups. Typical RT delay is 30 seconds.

--- Code: ---GRPSEQ=022
SETFEAT=+0001
--- End code ---

Two RT groups are sent after 4 PS groups. The dynamic group sequence is enabled, so after the RT update, the RT rate is temporarily double. Typical RT delay is now 5 seconds.

To modify the Group sequence, click on RDS Encoder - Special - Group sequence.
A good result will be obtained if you keep the Default group sequence.

To enable the dynamic group sequence, click on Tools - Show command console and enter the command SETFEAT=+0001

mel@zrimarketing.com:
Can you make sure I get this correct, SETFEAT=+0001 needs to be entered in the Command Console Window in the bar at the bottom. paste SETFEAT=+0001 and hit enter?

Jan:
Yes, exactly. You may verify the setting by entering SETFEAT and <Enter>. The returned value must contain odd digit at the end.

The SETFEAT command is supported in firmware version 2.1f or later.

mel@zrimarketing.com:
I show mine as 2.1b, so I need to update the P132 firmware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version