Author Topic: RDS works on some car receivers, not on others  (Read 5029 times)

cbergy21

RDS works on some car receivers, not on others
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:56:17 pm »
We've installed the new Pira32 box and it's sending out RDS data really well. I can get it on a 2008 Silverado 1500 but not on a 06 Impala SS. They both have the same looking receiver in the vehicles. What could I change in my set up to make it show on all receivers? Thanks in advance.

Jan

Re: RDS works on some car receivers, not on others
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:48 pm »
The PIRA32 is a standard FM broadcast RDS encoder which works with all receivers.
There are only two possible reasons:
  • The PI (Program Identification code) starts with zero (0xxx) - this is prohibited by the RDS standard and some receivers don't accept this.
  • The FM deviation caused by RDS signal does not meet the RDS standard, which defines a range of 1.0 to 7.5 kHz (3 kHz is the most frequent). Since each FM transmitter has different modulation sensitivity, it is necessary to adjust the RDS level when you connect the RDS encoder first time. See the manual for details. I strongly recommend to use appropriate FM analyzer for correct setting.

Sometimes, broadcasters report that several car radios don't show Dynamic PS text. For safety reasons, some car radios really don't show actual PS if this is not stable (unchanged) for at least a few seconds. First of all, it is recommended to use RT (Radiotext) instead of Dynamic PS, which has never been standardized. The situation is now much better than in past and almost all current receivers finally support Radiotext. If the Dynamic PS is still desirable, set the Dynamic PS mode to 0 or 2 (i.e. not scrolling) and the Label period to at least 3 seconds.

cbergy21

Re: RDS works on some car receivers, not on others
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »
Thanks Jan. The PI code is correct so I will try and mess with #2.