Author Topic: Connection error  (Read 3598 times)

radiovet

Connection error
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:42:28 pm »
At times when I log into my P132 with my software (3.7e) I get the error :Connection error (TCP/IP: connection refused:o This happens on two computers with 3.7e in two seperate locations. I can log into it with my phone via the IP with out the software. To solve the problem I must reset the unit via my phone and resend all info again via the software. I have two other connections on this modem that connect to my transmitter and digital STL and they never have this problem. It can work for 7-10 days and then I get the error and sometimes it is 3-4 days after reset. Open to thoughts and suggestions, thank you.

Jan

Re: Connection error
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 07:25:56 pm »
If you're connecting from two different locations, it may be necessary to assign different TCP port number for connection from each location. The single port resources are occupied by the first incoming connection and are not available for others until you disconnect. On unstable lines the connection may be interrupted without proper disconnect. In that case the encoder releases the port after elapsing the 'TCP Connection Timeout' which is 16 minutes by default. The Magic RDS contains auto reconnect function so both sides should become connected after the timeouts without making it manually.
For better diagnostics it would be interesting to see the 'Socket status' when you get the connection error. On your phone, go to the RDS encoder - Status - Device Status - Advanced - Socket status - Refresh.

radiovet

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:59:14 pm »
I am the only one that uses the connection, just to update information once or twice a day (we do not stream titles). The last connection was let's say at 4pm, and the next at 4am. There are days the second computer is never used. (I stated that to rule out a that the computer itself was the problem, as both do it at random times. ) There seems to be no rhyme or reason in pattern or use as to why the problem is as random as it it.  I will watch the socket status when it happens next.

Jan

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:48:51 am »
> I am the only one that uses the connection

It is possible to access the encoder from internet? If so, you're probably not the only one (internet robots).

We plan to implement some basic level of optional authorization for the TCP connection, general problem in this regard is that most applications with TCP connection capability do not support any kind of security but we still want them to get connected.

As a good solution for this situation, you may keep the Magic RDS connected permanently. Also consider the TCP port number (the less common the better). Whenever possible, the network should be configured to rule out any access from public internet to your broadcast equipment.