Post reply

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Unregistered users must pass a verification:



Please enter the number from the picture above which is showing FM broadcast antenna:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Jan
« on: Yesterday at 08:52:33 pm »

The version released today includes expanded error messages for broken XML file processing. This might help you identify where the problem lies.
Posted by: Jan
« on: September 27, 2026, 03:27:59 am »

It has nothing to do with the device. Simply attach the original XML file to an email and send it to me, or attach it here to the post. There is likely something in the file that is causing the XML parser to reject it as invalid.

Please send the actual file rather than copying and pasting its contents. Copied text may not preserve the original data exactly — for example, the character encoding or special characters may be altered or lost.

You could also try an online XML validator, but that would not provide me with the information I need to determine whether the application needs to be modified.

Judging by the declared character encoding (ISO-8859-1), I suspect that the application generating this XML file may be relatively old. This legacy 8-bit encoding is still valid, but UTF-8 has long been the standard choice for modern XML applications. This is precisely where a potential source of problems may lie: if the application indicates the now less common ISO-8859-1 encoding but actually uses a different character set.

You should double-check that you are using the current version of Magic RDS — currently 4.3.1, which is displayed after pressing the Home button on the top bar.
Posted by: dennism
« on: September 27, 2026, 02:28:32 am »

I've tried running version 4 on three different computers but none will display anything in the Find Element window. I'm sure there's an incompatibility somewhere. This is trying to use version 4 with a P332. I also have a 232U being fed from PlayoneONE and it works fine.

I'm going to go back to Version 3 and try again.
Posted by: Jan
« on: September 23, 2026, 07:24:34 pm »

If you run into any issues, please let me know. It is important to us that everything works properly. However, I will likely need more information, as it clearly works fine under "standard" operating conditions.
Posted by: dennism
« on: September 23, 2026, 06:49:52 pm »

Thank you for replying. I think I will try a uninstall and reinstall. Something may have been corrupted.
Posted by: Jan
« on: September 23, 2026, 05:41:50 pm »

I would like to help you, but unfortunately, I don't know how. When I save and load your file, everything works normally. See the attached image.

Either there is an unknown issue with file access rights, or (unlikely) your Windows installation is corrupted and the XML library is not working. Could you copy the file to another location and try reading it there?
Posted by: dennism
« on: September 23, 2026, 04:37:47 pm »

I actually didn't send the whole file, just the title/artist portion. This is a complete file:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' ?>
<PlayList>
<Entry Event="00"
Type="Playing"
Category="SONG"
Id="MUS6048"
Title="My Sweet Lord"
Artist="George Harrison"
Album=""
Composer=""
MusicId=""
Outcue=""
StationId="WECK_FM"
Duration="00:04:30"
StartTime="2026-09-23 09:55:20"
/>
</PlayList>

I checked and the version I have is the latest.
Posted by: Jan
« on: September 23, 2026, 03:33:10 pm »

My reply was based on the file you attached to your previous post. It is not a valid XML file because it is missing closing tags. Please verify this. In any case, I would aim to use XML processing rather than plain text. At the moment, we have no reported issues regarding XML in Magic RDS 4.
Posted by: dennism
« on: September 23, 2026, 03:21:34 pm »

Thanks for the reply Jan.

I thought I had the latest version. I will check.

Regarding the "XML" file, we've been using it for years with Verion 3. It's generated by our PlayoutONE automation. It also works fine with our stream provider for metadata. I'll pursue the text replace function.

Thank you.
Posted by: Jan
« on: September 23, 2026, 07:05:06 am »

I would proceed as follows:

1) Download the latest version of Magic RDS 4, as the version you are currently using is outdated. You will immediately see what the issue with the file is.

2) The file you attached is not a valid XML file; therefore, it cannot be processed as XML. The application that generated the file is likely malfunctioning, so you should ask the author to fix it. If that is not possible, you must process the file as "Entire file as plain text" and use text replacement tools to remove anything you do not want in the final output.
Posted by: dennism
« on: September 22, 2026, 10:13:17 pm »

I'm new to Magic RDS V 4, having been forced to upgrade from 3. I searched for this but couldn't find anything yet.

In trying to set up the parsing from an XML file, clicking the Find Element button brings up a blank window, no information inside. I know the path to the file is correct. I tried entering the element name several different ways but nothing works. This is a sample of the XML data:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' ?>
<PlayList>
<Entry Event="00"
Type="Playing"
Category="SONG"
Id="MUS7541"
Title="Hot Stuff"
Artist="Donna Summer"
Album=""

This error shows in the log: 26-09-22 16:13:37; Application Error: Access violation at address 00405FEF in module 'magicrds.exe'. Read of address 00000000

I'm sure I'm missing something but I don't know what. Please help. Thanks.