Author Topic: Pira32, Magic RDS, external text possible?, sample text  (Read 7362 times)

joelwitkowski

Pira32, Magic RDS, external text possible?, sample text
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »
I have been recently testing out our PIRA32 RBDS encoder in various different scenarios (in preparation, I hope, of getting the approval to buy a couple more) and I have encountered a scenario that I could use a little help with.  The station I am trying to use the PIRA32 uses Cumulus' Classic Hits format, which we get on an XDS sat tuner.  The XDS has a serial PAD port which shows...PAD...the output looks like this:

CurrentEvent:CHM,CHJ100-1,8-SECOND LINER BED,
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1005-49,Let Your Love Flow,Bellamy Brothers
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1004-96,My Eyes Adored You,Frankie Valli
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1000-32,Hang On Sloopy,McCoys
CurrentEvent:
CurrentEvent:CHO,CHO101-78,You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling,Hall & Oates
CurrentEvent:
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1004-47,Bad Bad Leroy Brown,Jim Croce
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1001-10,Ticket To Ride,Beatles
CurrentEvent:CHF,CHF203,Xmas Military,
CurrentEvent:CHH,CHH100-79,I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus,John Mellencamp
CurrentEvent:
CurrentEvent:COM,904,3 min of silence ** DO NOT DELETE **,** DO NOT DELETE **
CurrentEvent:COM,C0184,TOYS R US/MWDAY,
CurrentEvent:COM,C1085,STERLING/LEVIAN,
CurrentEvent:
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1034-79,Baby I Love Your Way,Peter Frampton
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1005-63,Too Late To Turn Back Now,Cornelius Brothers & Sister
 Rose
CurrentEvent:CHM,CH1007-46,Another Brick In The Wall,Pink Floyd
CurrentEvent:
CurrentEvent:CHH,CHH100-91,Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer,Elmo & Patsy

(I grabbed this a while ago)

Anyway, so I can successfully put the PIRA32 in no header mode, all this data goes out.  I personally think it is awesome, the owners do not.  There is a way to filter this data.  Here is what I am envisioning:

Feed the PAD serial output of the sat tuner to a nearby computer that isn't doing enough multitasking, have it write the serial data to a txt file. (I have used a title from Altima, RS232 data logger, to log EAS data successfully, and save paper :>)  Have this computer write the txt file to a volume that can be seen by the computer running MagicRDS and attached via serial link to the PIRA32 unit.  Then point the software to the text file.  I wonder if there is going to be a problem though as data is appended to the log file and two apps have it open.  I assume that the replace text function would permit me to mask unneeded characters.  Any tips on setting this up would be helpful, but I need to log some data and take a good hard look at it to form some rules about what should be replaced, masked, etc.

So, am I thinking about approaching this in the right way?  Any help which anyone can offer me is appreciated.  I try to always think about what a guy smarter than me would do but it's hard sometimes. I was always one of the dumber kids, furrowing my brow in a vain attempt to understand what came so easily to others.  Ya know, I think it all started in the second grade with Mrs. Saunders, I hated that bitch! 

Oh yeah, sorry, got on a tear there... Advice?

Jan

Re: Pira32, Magic RDS, external text possible?, sample text
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
Seems terribly but we already have a solution.
  • To save serial data to a file use simple utility at http://pira.cz/rds/com2txt.zip (use the Output file as it holds the last text line from the serial data)
  • Download actual MagicRDS. In the Text source settings set the item 'Cut everything before' to '-' (single dash). Enable the Remove song numbering option in More options.
Unwanted text that passes this input condition must be filtered out using the Text replacing. With no more needs the result should satisfy your boss and your listeners. However any comments are welcome.  8)

joelwitkowski

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »
Jan,

You're a genius.  Many thanks.  Since I reckon you are not even breaking a sweat by giving this advice, I'll not ever hesitate to ask for it!

-Joel

Tomtreas

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:42:53 am »

• To save serial data to a file use simple utility at http://pira.cz/rds/com2txt.zip (use the Output file as it holds the last text line from the serial data)
  • Download actual MagicRDS. In the Text source settings set the item 'Cut everything before' to '-' (single dash). Enable the Remove song numbering option in More options.
Unwanted text that passes this input condition must be filtered out using the Text replacing. With no more needs the result should satisfy your boss and your listeners. However any comments are welcome.  8)

Jan, 

You should include this in your broadcasting how-to section complete with the link. =)  There are a TON of these XDS receivers in service now at many locations and each one has 4 of pad outputs. 

Can you run multiple copies of com2txt on a single PC?

Jan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:39:38 am »
You may run multiple instances of this utility. As usual, each must be copied into different subfolder.
Current version of this utility is at http://pira.cz/eng/rs232log.zip (Desired feature is referenced as 'Line Extractor'.)

We plan a bigger RDS update for next year. This utility will be incorporated directly to the Magic RDS, also with TCP and UDP input option.