Author Topic: P132/P332 - FCC Cybersecurity Rules  (Read 462 times)

bobcvols

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
P132/P332 - FCC Cybersecurity Rules
« on: September 25, 2026, 03:44:54 pm »
Good morning, Jan -

We have 3 P332's that we use on three facilities - extremely dependent!

We are staring down new U.S. FCC cybersecurity rules which require enhanced security measures for our EAS system and devices that are connected to it through our program chain.  RDS units have been mentioned in some of the discussion that I have seen, although that may refer to RDS that is generated by transmitters.  Here is a set of FCC FAQ's that it released earlier this week:
https://www.fcc.gov/faqs-EAS-Cybersecurity-Requirements

Do the Pira boxes qualify, in your estimation?  If so, with our exposure to the Internet, I wanted to change our password on these units to a 15-character, randomly-generated password.  But, the Pira interface only allows me to insert 10 characters. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Jan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1340
Re: FCC Cybersecurity Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2026, 04:12:25 pm »
We are preparing an update to the internal website that will allow you to set a longer password than is currently possible. While this will not affect security in any way, it will ensure formal compliance with an FCC requirement.

If you do not want to wait, you can set a 15-character password right now. Use the Magic RDS 4 program's GUI to do so.

Bob Crittenden

  • Guest
Re: FCC Cybersecurity Rules
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2026, 04:54:20 pm »
Thanks for your prompt response!  I don't use Magic RDS, but I probably need to start using it.  Is there a link to a tutorial that is available?
Bob

kdincville

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Re: FCC Cybersecurity Rules
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:25:08 pm »
I am attempting to log in to my 3) P332 encoders after installing 15 character passwords as previously demonstrated. So far, I appear to be locked out. I am wondering if the message in front of the password box is telling me to add characters in front of the password, or what its purpose is. I'd also like to know how to reset to a zero password condition.
 
WEB password (AT+iWpwd):

Thanks.
kd

Jan

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1340
Re: FCC Cybersecurity Rules
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:05:19 am »
Yes, you are right. We discovered today that, due to timing issues, logging into the web interface of this old device from modern computers can indeed be hit-or-miss. It is possible to log in, but not always on the first attempt (you must press Reload before attempting to submit again). We have identified the cause and are working on a solution. We will keep you updated over the coming days. In any case, by following the procedure described above, you have formally satisfied the FCC requirement.